Tuesday 31 January 2012

If at first you don't succeed ... Try, Try, Try Again ...

I am using this blog as my sketchpad. Which is kind of different for me as normally I begin producing most of my work from drawings. I am perhaps a little too old school for my own good. I do feel that over the three years my ability has improved working within Adobe software, though I do still pretty much hand draw most of my ideas first.

As a result this will probably mean that I will post a lot more. I apologise if there is anything that you don't feel is relevant. I am merely doing what I would do if I was working in a sketchpad.... (though perhaps not including what i am listening to as i do it)...

These are some drawings I worked on last night. I was attempting trying to reproduce some styles from tattoo books, while searching for business card font inspiration.

It has been a while since I have drawn, so I was doing them for practice and my own benefit really.

I drew the first one in pencil. Traced it a few times and then eventually re-drew it in black pen..

It's not perfect, though I'm quite pleased with this first attempt.

Pencil:



1st Trace: (pen on tracing paper)

Cleaned up in Photoshop:

Colour Added: (just messing to see what it was like)



2nd Trace: (black pen on tracing paper)



Cleaned up in Photoshop:


Black Pen: (complete with annoying hand smudge)


Some different ideas:

Black Pen:



Black Pen:



Very quick colour edit: (not the colours i would use)





3 comments:

  1. Hi Stephen,

    I don't mind at all you being "old- school". I appreciate that people make the effort and apply all their skills and talents in order to express properly and clearly their thoughts and ideas and that's why I find sketching so important. So well done for that and also for experimenting with colour and high and low contrast. Anyway, I still believe a very good hand-made illustration, drawing or typo can be digitalized and used later in your design. So, if you find that after these try-outs you achieve something that describes you and also looks professional and neat, use it! It might give exactly the feeling and finish you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephen,

    Couldn't speak with you today about your business card. I hope next week I have the time to see more work in your ideas. I think all of them are good but also, I think there might be a way to put them together. Let me know if you have some time free during the class or tutorial so we can have a look at this together.

    See you then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariana,

      Thanks for your comments. I would really appreciate you letting me know some of your ideas to help develop my designs!!

      I am often around Uni so please let me know a good time for you and we can have a chat about it all.

      Thanks Again,

      Stephen

      Delete